Advertisement

HindustanTimes Mon,20 Oct 2014

High Court has decided nothing, says Liberhan

Monica Sharma, Hindustan Times  Chandigarh, October 01, 2010
First Published: 00:25 IST(1/10/2010) | Last Updated: 00:27 IST(1/10/2010)

Former high court judge Justice M.S. Liberhan on Thursday said the Allahabad High Court had "decided nothing".

Advertisement

Justice Liberhan, who had carried out a detailed probe and submitted Liberhan Commission report over the 1992 Babri mosque demolition, said, "(The) Judgement of the court is always right but it has decided nothing."

Justice Liberhan made it clear that he had not gone through the contents of the judgment but was basing his observation on whatever he had "overheard" about the verdict.

Talking to Hindustan Times, he indicated that the case, despite the political overtones, was apparently decided without fear, favour or ill will.

He said, "All the judges are honest and non-political. They decide cases without fear and favour in accordance with the law and based on documents produced on record."

Justice Liberhan's report was tabled before the Parliament in November 24 last year. The report was submitted after 17 years. The report is gathering dust with the government refusing to initiate any action on his findings.

Commenting on the treatment meted put to his report, Justice Liberhan said, "My report has never been read in the light in which it was given and the questions referred to the commission."

Available information suggested, even after the report was tabled less than a year back, the government has refused to re-investigate the sensitive aspects underscored in the report.

No action was initiated to prosecute the personalities whose names surfaced in the report. The findings of the Librehan Commission had said that it had been "established beyond doubt" that the events of Dec 6, 1992, in Ayodhya were "neither spontaneous nor unplanned".

comment Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of www.hindustantimes.com
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement
more from Chandigarh

Newly-elected Samalkha MLA had served 15-month jail term

Independent candidate Ravinder Kumar Machhrauli, who was convicted in a criminal case five years ago, has won from this predominantly rural segment by a margin of 20,373 votes. Hindustan Times had on October 14 reported that Machhrauli had a criminal background and was emerging as a strong contender from Samalkha.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved