Advertisement

HindustanTimes Mon,22 Dec 2014

Increase subsidy on micro-irrigation systems, says Badal

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  Chandigarh, July 05, 2014
First Published: 12:17 IST(5/7/2014) | Last Updated: 12:24 IST(5/7/2014)

Chief minister Parkash Singh Badal on Friday sought personal intervention of union agriculture minister Radha Mohan Singh for raising subsidy on the micro-irrigation (MI) systems to 80%.

In a letter to Radha Mohan Singh, the CM said the MI systems play a pivotal role in conserving and saving water due to which it was that more and more farmers should be provided financial assistance for encouraging them to install these systems. He said the state agriculture department had already decided to raise this subsidy to 80% but such a decision of the department was not covered under the Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana (RKVY).

Badal urged the union minister to advise the officers of the ministry of agriculture for giving consent to this decision of the state agriculture department to provide 80% subsidy on MI systems to the farmers of Punjab under RKVY. “As the implementation of annual plan 2014-15 is about to begin so we need the consent of the Centre to pursue this in right earnest,” he added.

The CM had earlier given his nod to enhance the subsidy under the MI scheme from the existing 50 to 80% of the actual market cost for the general category farmers and 90% for the women farmers and those belonging to Scheduled Caste communities. Likewise, in another significant decision Badal had decided to remove the cap in terms of area for availing the subsidy. As per the decision, the state government provides subsidy to the farmers across the board and there was no limit in terms of area.

As per the norms of the Centre, subsidy was provided to beneficiaries having land up to 5 hectares per beneficiary but the state government had decided to amend it by asserting that there would be no limit in terms of area.

comment Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of www.hindustantimes.com
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement
more from Chandigarh

Chandigarh: List of eligible students to be out on Wednesday

All four missionary schools in the city -- Carmel Convent School, Sector 9; Sacred Heart Senior Secondary School, Sector 26; St John’s High School, Sector 26; and St Anne’s Convent School in Sector 32 -- will display the list of eligible candidates for entry-level admissions for the 2015-16 session on December 30, whereas other schools will display their lists on December 24 (Wednesday).
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved