Advertisement

HindustanTimes Wed,26 Nov 2014

Moga encounter not premeditated: cops

Monica Sharma, Hindustan Times   Chandigarh, June 27, 2014
First Published: 23:09 IST(27/6/2014) | Last Updated: 23:10 IST(27/6/2014)

Questions remain in the encounter at Moga on Wednesday evening, though Chandigarh Police claim they had gone there to arrest the three accused in a robbery and sexual assault case registered here on June 22.

Advertisement


Senior superintendent of police Sukhchain Singh Gill told the media on Friday that the encounter was not planned. “On the complaint of Moga’s Harpinder, we had booked Gurcharan Singh “Rinku”, Sashipal Singh and Shinder Singh, for causing injuries, criminal intimidation, robbery, criminal conspiracy, and violating the Information Technology Act, and moved in to arrest them,” said Gill.

Harpinder had reported that these three men, along with another two, had barged into his house, attacked him with a baseball bat, and shot an objectionable video. “We informed the Moga police before moving in,” said Gill, ducking further questions about the incident, stating only that the magisterial now would bring out the truth.

Two days since the encounter, Chandigarh Police, so far, have failed to establish that victim Sukhdev was in Chandigarh during the June 22 robbery. Asked about it, Gill said: “It is a matter of investigation.”

If the accused were dangerous criminals of Moga indeed, it’s unclear why the Chandigarh cops didn’t ask Punjab Police to help in the operation, when they were in the know especially; and also why there were not in police uniform. The eight-member Chandigarh crime branch team was well armed,
which suggests they were ready for the encounter.

The claim that victim Sukhdev and injured Rinku were together during the shootout also is doubtful, since another Chandigarh Police version puts them with different people. Police are yet to register any case against Balraj and Jagmeet, who are named in the assault report of Harpinder.

The man had alleged that Rinku and others were contract killers assigned to eliminate him. Accused Balraj and Jagmeet are based in the US for the past six months but the police are yet to write to Interpol to proceed against them, even though Harpinder claims that he remains under threat.
 
Intent or nor?
This is just not an odd case where Chandigarh Police have gone to another state. We got out at times for recovering stolen vehicles, and carry arms where we see a risk.
Sukhchain Singh Gill, Chandigarh SSP
 
The cops had not gone to Moga with the intent of carrying out an encounter. They had gone there to catch the people accused of attacking, robbing and sexually abusing a man.
Jagbir Singh, DSP (crime), Chandigarh

comment Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of www.hindustantimes.com
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement
more from Chandigarh

Punjab: ABP Sanjha ceases operations

Failure to get access to cable TV carriage by the leading operator in Punjab has claimed another new channel as victim. Punjabi news channel ABP Sanjha announced to cease operations on Wednesday evening, affecting 200 employees. Management of the channel, a part of the Anandabazar Patrika group that runs leading channels including ABP News in Hindi, cited the virtual blackout as the primary reason for the shutdown.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved