The CBI special court, Haryana, on Monday exempted Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh from personal appearance on Tuesday. Earlier, he was ordered to reach CBI court for recording his statement under section 313 of CrPC (statement of accused).
During the recording of this statement, Ram Rahim would have been put to extensive questioning regarding the incriminating evidence so far has come against him.
He would appear through video conferencing in the CBI court on Tuesday now.
Meanwhile, the court has to give its order on the application, of Deputy Commissioner of Police, Panchkula, Ashwin Shenvi, requesting for recording Ram Rahim’s statement under section 313 of CrPC through video conferencing.
Shenvi has told the court that Ram Rahim has been given Z+ security and has been facing threats from terrorists based on inputs from intelligence sources. He has named Babbar Khalsa International and Kahlistan Zindabad Force behind threats on Ram Rahim’s life.
He told the court that Ram Rahim’s cavalcade was targeted in February 2008 at Karnal where he escaped in bomb blast and in June 2008, during his visit to a mall in Mumbai during an altercation with Sikh protestors and Dera followers, one protestor got killed.
The court has also been informed that lot of Dera followers are likely to come along with him to the city which can create law and order problem and inconvenience to public.
As soon as the word spread regarding appearance of Ram Rahim through video conferencing a number of Dera followers who had been congregating at sector 5 ground here since Sunday started leaving on Monday.
The Rape case
There are two rape victims in the case. In 2002, anonymous letters addressed to then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and chief justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court were circulated alleging sexual exploitation of female followers in dera sacha sauda in Sirsa.
The Punjab and Haryana High Court then ordered then Sirsa sessions judge to look into it who gave his report on September 3, 2002, that possibility of sexual exploitation could not be ruled out. On September 24, 2002, Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel handed over the case to CBI.