Advertisement

HindustanTimes Thu,23 Oct 2014

Surankote killings: 14 years on, HC orders CBI probe

PTI  Srinagar, November 21, 2012
First Published: 21:42 IST(21/11/2012) | Last Updated: 21:43 IST(21/11/2012)

Jammu and Kashmir High Court on Wednesday directed a CBI probe into the 1998 killing of 19 civilians, including 13 women, in Surankote area of Poonch district on a plea by families of the victims seeking a re-investigation.

Advertisement


Justice M H Attar passed the order for a CBI inquiry after hearing the counsel for the state government and relatives of the victims of the massacre at Sailan.

"The court ordered that CBI should inquire the allegations levelled by the petitioners," additional advocate general  AM Magray told PTI.

On the intervening night of August 3 and 4, 1998, 19 persons -- six males and 13 females -- were killed at the house of Hassan Mohammad Sheikh at Sailan village in Surankote.
The police, in its FIR, had blamed foreign militants for carrying out the killings but an inquiry conducted by the State Human Rights Commission in October 1998 ruled out the involvement of militants.

The SHRC also recommended an inquiry into the case.

The families of the victims had filed a petition for re-investigation in the case before the high court last year.

Human rights groups have welcomed the court order.

"Today's order is an indictment of the Jammu and Kashmir Police that took no action for 14 years, and in fact sought to scuttle any fair investigations into the massacre," JK Coalition of Civil Society alleged.

In a statement, the group said the struggle of the families continue as it is important to ensure that the CBI carries out a fair, speedy and impartial investigation.

"The government on its own, without waiting for court interventions, should investigate all massacres ? such as Gow Kadal, Hawal, Zakoora, Bijbehara, Wandhama, Chattisinghpora, Nadimarg, Chota Bazaar, Sopore, Handwara and Kupwara," it said. PTI


The case

On the intervening night of August 3 and 4, 1998, 19 persons, six men and 13 women, were killed at the house of one Hassan Mohammad Sheikh at Sailan village in Surankote. The police, in its FIR, had blamed foreign militants for carrying out the killings but an inquiry conducted by the State Human Rights Commission in October 1998 ruled out the involvement of militants.

comment Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of www.hindustantimes.com
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement
more from Chandigarh

Education dept to hire consellors to tackle violence

Keeping in view the increase in violence at government schools in the city of late, the UT education department has started the process to hire 87 counsellors to provide help to students. ile 40 counsellors will be hired for senior secondary schools, the rest will be for high schools.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved