Changes in Sector 39-Kharar elevated road project sought

  • Shailee Dogra, HindustanTimes, SAS Nagar
  • Updated: Jan 08, 2016 12:18 IST
A view of the National Highway 21 where the elevated road has been proposed in Phase 6, in SAS Nagar. (HT Photo )

Terming the proposed elevated road from Sector 39 to Kharar as “constant source of nuisance”, the residents of SAS Nagar Phase 6, whose houses are adjoining the road, demanded relocation of the starting point of the bridge from Sector 39 to Verka Chowk in Phase 6.

Though the residents admitted that the proposed road would ease the traffic congestion, they want the starting point to be changed to save them from “noise pollution and persistence disturbance”.

“The elevated road starts from Sector 39 so the residents of Phase 6 would be the most inconvenienced as they would not be able to use the road. They will have to travel either to Sector 39 or Balongi to access the elevated road. All the houses numbered between 210 and 264 would be directly affected,” said BS Pooni, patron, Welfare Action Committee, Sector 56, SAS Nagar.

The residents who have houses adjacent to the road fear that their houses will loose the resale value due to the unfavourable condition, he said.

Starting from Sector 39 roundabout, the elevated road will go along Max Hospital up to the new bus stand in Phase 6, SAS Nagar, from where two lanes would reach Balongi light point. The elevated road would go right up to Kharar junction from where one of its arms would go towards Ludhiana and another (400 metres) would go towards Rupnagar.

There are provisions of having underpasses near the North Country Mall in Kharar and Sunny Enclave in Kharar.

Other than houses, a gurdwara, hospital, college and a few government offices are there along the road whose boundary walls have to be shifted. Markings have already been done for this.


Though several politicians have been taking up the issue, nothing concrete has emerged as despite assurances, the NHAI has already given contract to the Larsen & Toubro (L&T) for the construction of the elevated road.

“I would once again take up the issue with the Union government and would press upon them to reconsider the beginning of the road from Verka Chowk instead of Sector 39,”said Prem Singh Chandumajra, member of parliament.

Chandumajra said he had already raised the issue with Union minister for transport and highways Nitin Gadkari in June 2015. “The proposed elevated road has put the existence of gurdwara and houses in danger as some portion of these buildings would be acquired for the purpose, hence the starting point needs to be reconsidered,” he said.

Taking up the issue, SAS Nagar MLA Balbir Singh Sidhu too had written to Union government. He wrote, “There is not much traffic problem on the stretch from Sector 39 to Phase 6, so why are the residents subjected to such an inconvenience. The six lane road from Kurali to Chandigarh via Mullanpur is acting as an alternative for the diversion of traffic coming from Punjab, Himachal Pradesh and JK,” he said in his letter.

Sidhu said once the road connecting Kharar to Zirakpur gets operational, it too would reduce the vehicular rush.

SAS Nagar mayor Kulwant Singh in September 2015 too had written to the NHAI for reconsideration of the project. In fact, the municipal corporation House had approved the agenda of constructing the elevated bridge from Verka Chowk till Kharar, instead of Sector 39, considering the demand of the residents. He had pointed out that in case the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) goes ahead with the present proposal, the InterState Bus Terminal (ISBT) under construction would become unviable.

also read

Councillor’s report card: Heera Negi tried, but failed to stir officials up
Show comments