Child killed, one hurt in three fire incidents | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 21, 2017-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Child killed, one hurt in three fire incidents

A three-year-old succumbed to the burns while another person suffered minor injuries in separate fire incidents that occurred in the city since Sunday evening.

punjab Updated: Oct 29, 2012 22:43 IST
HT Correspondent

A three-year-old succumbed to the burns while another person suffered minor injuries in separate fire incidents that occurred in the city since Sunday evening.


Goods worth lakhs stored in the godowns of a yarn factory , a kite shop and a hosiery factory were gutted in the fire.

The fire broke out in the godown of Laddo Patang wala on Monday afternoon. The famous kite shop is situated at Shivani Building Chowk near Iqbal Ganj. Four fire engines reached the spot and controlled the fire.

The factory owner, Raju Pawa, received burn injuries on his left arm. Two motorbikes and a scooter were also burnt in the incident.

However, a major tragedy was averted when the staff in the factory managed to pull out a drum filled with diesel from the fire.

After the incident, the area residents lodged a protest saying there were no adequate arrangements to tackle such fire incidents.

"The fire engines had to get water from a far off area," said a resident.

In another incident on Sunday, the fire broke out in the godown of a yarn factory in Mohalla Guru Gobind Singh Nagar, Mayapuri , street number 1 .

The family of the godown owner was about to call it a day when the incident took place.

Seeing the smoke, the family members started running outside the house, but a three-year-old sleeping child was left in his room. By the time the family members rescued him , he had become unconscious due to asphyxia. He died on his way to the hospital.

The delay in controlling the fire led to a protest. The angry residents raised slogans against the administration.

Fire station officer Krishan Kakkar said short-circuit was the cause behind the fire in all the incidents.