At least five people fell ill after chlorine gas leaked from a sewerage treatment plant at Talwandi Sabo near here on Monday afternoon. They developed problem of breathing and itching in eyes. However, they were discharged from hospital after first aid.
The gas leakage from the plant was noticed at about 2:30 pm. However, a team of the National Fertilisers Limited (NFL) here was called and controlled the leakage and averted any tragedy. The fire brigade was also called immediately to avoid any untoward incident.
The five who fell ill and were moved to the hospital have been identified as Gurdit Singh, Yadwinder Singh, Malwir Singh, Gurmail Singh and Malook Singh.
Representatives of the civil and police administration also reached the spot.
Meanwhile, the administration closed a school near the plant and issued a warning to the residents to remain cautious of any further leak.
Executive engineer of the board Shiv Das Kansal said that the leakage occurred because a new gas cylinder was installed at the plant two days ago. He said that it was not a big issue as leakage does occur in the plant sometimes when we change the cylinder and the situation was controlled immediately.
Kansal said that gas had minor effect on the five people and they were provided first aid in the hospital.
DSP (headquarters) Gurdarshan Singh, who reached the spot, said that the situation was controlled with the help of the NFL team without letting it cause any big damage.