Cop ends life, kin suspect foul play | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 18, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Cop ends life, kin suspect foul play

punjab Updated: Apr 07, 2014 08:02 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A head constable posted at the Behram police station committed suicide, after his request for transfer, citing ill-treatment by the SHO was allegedly not entertained by the higher authorities.

Jasvir Singh (45), the victim, allegedly consumed sulphas tablets while at the police station on Friday. He was admitted to the Guru Nanak Mission Hospital in Dhahan Kaleran village of Nawanshahr district.

On Saturday, family members of the victim shifted him to the DMC Hospital, Ludhiana, where he died in the evening. The family has decided that they would not cremate his body until the police register a case against the SHO and two other policemen whom they held responsible for his death.

Senior superintendent of police (SSP) Dhanpreet Kaur said, "I had received a complaint from head constable Jasvir Singh which I forwarded to superintendent of police (headquarters) Sarbjit Singh Pandher for further inquiry."

"The SP (headquarters) will carry further inquiry into the matter," the SSP said.

"I summoned SHO Surinder Pal Singh and Jasvir Singh to my office twice but no one reported to me," SP Pandher said.

For further comment, he referred to Banga DSP Hans Raj. "I have talked to Jasvir's family and asked for a statement on the matter so that further action can be taken."

SHO Surinder Pal Singh was unavailable for comments.

The victim's son Gurdeep Singh (22) said his father was posted at the Behram police station for the past two months.

"On the night of March 25, my father returned home from duty and told us that the SHO abused him after he paid for the cremation of an unidentified body from his own pocket," he alleged.

"My father was under immense mental pressure due to the behaviour of the SHO and others which forced him to take the extreme step," Gurdeep further claimed.

He said his father had submitted a complaint to the senior superintendent of police on March 27 and made a request for transfer or either send him to the police lines even under suspension since
he did not want to work under the SHO.

He said no action was taken after the complaint was forwarded to the SP (H).

"Had my father been transferred or suspended by the higher authorities, he would have been alive.

No official of the Nawanshahr police contacted us to express sympathy after my father's demise," he further claimed.