Cylinder blast at doctors’ hostel: PGI to recover losses from contractor | punjab$chandigarh | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 22, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Cylinder blast at doctors’ hostel: PGI to recover losses from contractor

In case of cylinder blast in doctors’ hostel canteen at the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, in May this year, the probe panel constituted by the institute has recommended to impose a heavy penalty on the contractor.

punjab Updated: Nov 06, 2015 13:23 IST
HT Correspondent
A major tragedy was averted at Married Doctors’ Hostel, PGI, when an LPG cylinder had triggered a blast on May 17.
A major tragedy was averted at Married Doctors’ Hostel, PGI, when an LPG cylinder had triggered a blast on May 17. (HT FILE PHOTO)

In case of cylinder blast in doctors’ hostel canteen at the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, in May this year, the probe panel constituted by the institute has recommended to impose a heavy penalty on the contractor.

A major tragedy was averted at Married Doctors’ Hostel, PGI, when an LPG cylinder triggered blast on May 17. The cylinder caught fire in following a blast at the Tuck Shop (canteen) of the hostel’s E Block. Panic gripped the area as around 40 families of doctors had to be taken out of the hostel. The canteen was gutted completely.

Following which, the PGI administration had constituted a committee under chairmanship of Dr Rajesh Chhabra, professor neurosurgery, who was also warden of the hostel. The sources revealed that the committee found that the incident happened due to gross negligence of the contractor. The committee recommended that the losses due to fire must be recovered from the contractor.

The committee has made an estimate of around `1.25 lakh, which will be recovered from the contractor, and have sent the report to the director.

Earlier, a preliminary probe had found that the owner of the canteen where the gas cylinder exploded was not even allowed to use a gas cylinder as he had permission only to serve readymade food items.

When the PGI officials had reached the spot, they were astonished to find that not just cooking was being done there illegally but a domestic gas cylinder was also being used for the commercial activity.

PGI director Dr YK Chawla had constituted an inspection/inquiry committee to stop any such incident in future and to stop use of domestic gas cylinders for commercial purposes.