Daduwal's judicial remand extended till September 19 | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 23, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Daduwal's judicial remand extended till September 19

punjab Updated: Sep 06, 2014 00:10 IST
HT Correspondent

The court of the additional chief judicial magistrate has extended the judicial remand of Baljit Singh Daduwal, a radical Sikh leader, currently lodged in the modern jail here, for 14 days till September 19.

Daduwal was produced before the court in the 5- year-old case registered by the district police against Daduwal and 40 others on March 14, 2009 after an alleged clash with the police over a dispute between Dera Sacha Sauda and Daduwal's supporters in Bajakhana village.

Though Daduwal was arrested on March 16, 2009 in the case, yet the police had paved the way for his release saying that he was not wanted in the case and he was released on March 30, 2009.
His role in the creation of the Haryana Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee (HSGMC), of which he is also a member, allegedly irked the SAD, that was vehemently opposing the move of the Bhupinder Singh Hooda government to form the HSGMC. It allegedly led to his arrest on August 22 from near Jaitu town of the district in the case and the registration of a fresh case under the arms Act after the recovery of some illegal arms from his possession at the time of his arrest.

The court had earlier sent Daduwal in judicial custody till September 5 declining the police's request for the police remand in the old case.
"Daduwal's judicial remand has been extended for 14 days in 5-year-old case and September 19 has been fixed the date of his appearance in the court in the case," said Kulinder Singh, Daduwal's counsel.

"Daduwal has also filed a bail application in the old case, which has been fixed for hearing on September 11," said Kulinder.Now Daduwal is facing at least four cases, two in Faridkot and two in Mansa.

The Mansa police had taken him on production warrants from Faridkot in a three-year-old case.
Daduwal had to spend two days each in Faridkot and Mansa in police custody.

Allegedly under pressure, he had resigned from the 41-member ad hoc HSGMC, but there is still confusion whether he has resigned from it or not, as there has been no confirmation from any source. The family has maintained silence on the issue.