Dalit boy, accused of theft, committed suicide: Khattar | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 26, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Dalit boy, accused of theft, committed suicide: Khattar

punjab Updated: Oct 23, 2015 21:23 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times

Haryana chief minister ML Khattar said on Friday the 14-year-old Dalit boy, who was accused of stealing a few pigeons and allegedly died inside a police station, committed suicide.

“Suicide was committed in the night. An official report is yet to come,” Khattar said.

“No interrogation was going on. This family came to the police station with a complaint themselves and went back home after the matter was resolved,” he added.

The chief minister also said law and order situation in the state is fine and individual incidents shouldn’t be given communal colour.

Reports said the family of Govind, whose death comes days after two Dalit children were allegedly burnt alive by upper caste men in Faridabad, have refused to cremate him after Khattar claimed it was a case of suicide. The family has alleged he died in police custody and that his body bore injury marks.

The post-mortem which was conducted on Thursday evening has indicated he died due to hanging.

“We have submitted the report. He died due to hanging and there were no injury marks on the body,” a senior doctor, who conducted the post-mortem at Rohtak’s Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (PGIMS), told Hindustan Times.

Govind’s family said that on Wednesday, Lal Singh, a resident of Gohana, had lodged a complaint about the theft of his four pigeons, two mobile phones and Rs 5,000 at the police post on Jind road. Suspecting Govind’s role, police asked his family to bring him to the police station at Gohana, 35 km from Sonepat.

On Wednesday evening, when Govind’s elder brother, Gautam, took him to the police station he was taken into custody. The family members alleged the policemen demanded a bribe for Govind’s release. Later, when Gautam reached the police station with his mother, they were told that Govind had escaped.

Govind’s body was recovered from the deserted house of his uncle in Gohana’s Shiv Colony on Thursday.

Sonepat superintendent of police (SP) Abhishek Garg said the two policemen, who took Govind in custody, have been booked for murder.

Govind’s family has also demanded the two policemen should be arrested in 24 hours else they would block rail traffic on the Rohtak-Jind section. On Thursday too, the agitated family had blocked the track, demanding the arrest of the cops. They had lifted the blockade after deputy superintendent of police (DSP) Vinod Kumar assured them of prompt action.

A member of the National Commission for Scheduled Castes, Ishwar Singh, met Garg on Friday to gather more information about the incident. Later, he met also Govind’s in the Devipura area of the town.