Dalit leader faces attempt to murder case for leading violent protest | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 27, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Dalit leader faces attempt to murder case for leading violent protest

punjab Updated: Oct 26, 2013 20:57 IST
HT Correspondent

Dalit leader Ramanjit Lali and his supporters, who had staged a protest at Jalandhar Bypass earlier this week, have landed in trouble. The police on Friday registered two cases, including that of attempt to murder, against Lali and his supporters on the complaints of city bus drivers, who alleged that the accused pelted buses with petrol bombs with an intention to kill passengers and also provoked people to damage government property and vehicles.


Besides Lali, others who have been booked by name are Vidya Gautam and Sanjay Khurana.

They have been booked under sections 307 (attempt to murder), 427 (damaging property), 148 (rioting, armed with deadly weapon), 149 (every member of unlawful assembly guilty of offence committed in prosecution of common object) and 120-B (party to a criminal conspiracy) of IPC and relevant sections of the Damage of Public Property Act 1984 by the Salem Tabri police.

The police arrested Lali and some of his supporters on Wednesday and since then they are lodged in Ludhiana central jail as a preventive measure under sections 107 (Security for keeping the peace in other case) and 151 (Arrest to prevent the commission of cognizable offences) of the CrPC.

On Sunday (October 20), Lali and his supporters had blocked the national highway at Jalandhar bypass chowk for more than three hours. The police arrested Lali and others on Wednesday and after that his supporters went berserk and indulged in violence, besides blocking the traffic for around four hours.

In their complaint, Jugraj Singh and Mandeep Singh, drivers of city buses, stated that when they reached near Green City, some people riding motorcycles appeared there and said that they would take revenge as their leader had been arrested by the police. The complainants alleged that the accused pelted the buses with petrol bombs even after finding that passengers were travelling in the buses. Fortunately, no one was hurt in the incident.