Delhi trader in police custody for buying baby boy | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 22, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Delhi trader in police custody for buying baby boy

punjab Updated: Sep 20, 2013 22:11 IST
Jatinder Kohli
Jatinder Kohli
Hindustan Times
Delhi-based businessman Sham Lal

Delhi-based businessman Sham Lal surrendered six days after an FIR was lodged against him for allegedly purchasing a newborn for `1.6-lakh from a Jalandhar-based family.

A grocery shop owner, Sham Lal wanted a baby boy for his elder brother Sanjay Kumar and had asked one of his relatives, Pooja, a nursing home receptionist, who has already been arrested, to look for a party that wanted to give away a baby boy.

It was found that the deal of the 20-day-old baby was fixed when his mother Champa was pregnant.

In a sting operation video, which is with HT, accused father Dharam Singh alias Dharma said that, one day, he met dai (quack) and told her, "Meri vahuti de nyana hon wala hai, te main bacche nu nahi rakhna chahunda (my wife is going to deliver a baby, but I do not want to keep it). He further claimed that Pooja and midwife Tara Rani played the role of mediators in the deal.

The video also indicates that sex determination tests might have been carried out.

Assistant police commissioner (west) Ravinder Pal Singh Sandhu said, "Sham Lal wanted a boy for his elder brother Sanjay Kumar, who did not have a child."

He added that Sham Lal had talked to Pooja in 2012 to look for a family which wanted to give away a child. However, he said, "We have not found information about any sex determination test, but a probe is on."

The ACP further said Champa never wanted to sell the baby, but Dharma sold him to buy a Tata Ace.

In the video, Dharma was also seen claiming that the deal was finalised for `2 lakh, but got only `1.6 laky. However, Sandhu claimed that deal was of `1.6 lakh only.

Sham Lal surrendered with the baby early on Friday morning. Police tried to inform Champa, who resides at the cremation ground of Basti Bawa Khel, but found that she and her other children had left the place.

Police were planning to hand over the baby to an orphanage through court.

However, when the police were going to produce Sham Lal in the courts at around 3pm, Champa reached the spot and requested custody of the baby. The court of judicial magistrate Munish Garg handed over the boy's custody to Champa and sent Sham Lal to one-day police custody.