Diarrhoea outbreak in Jalandhar, one died, 20 suffering
After the death of one and half-year-old baby girl Riti of Guru Diwan Nagar on Wednesday, Raj Rani, 50, a resident of Tara Chand colony died on Thursday due to diarrhoea at Civil Hospital.punjab Updated: Sep 05, 2013 20:35 IST
After the death of one and half-year-old baby girl Riti of Guru Diwan Nagar on Wednesday, Raj Rani, 50, a resident of Tara Chand colony died on Thursday due to diarrhoea at Civil Hospital.
As many as 20 people were found suffering from diarrohea outbreak apparently due to consumption of contaminated water infecting the residents of Guru Diwan Nagar, Tara Chand Colony and adjoining Ratan Nagar in Garha area.
Raj Rani was admitted into Civil Hospital on Thursday morning after she was referred along with nine others by doctors of medical camp organised in the locality. Two teams of health department surveyed more than 300 houses of these localities and distributed 6000 chlorine tablets among the residents.
The teams referred more than 30-35 people, who were complaining of stomach problem and vomiting, to Garha health dispensary and Civil Hospital. The health department has asked municipal corporation to immediately arrange alternative supply of drinking water in the locality till the fault gets rectified.
Civil surgeon Dr RL Bassan said, "I have talked with mayor Sunil Jyoti and asked him to arrange the supply of drinking water through tankers in these localities,"said the civil surgeon.
He also said that water samples have been taken from these localities and sent to laboratory. Kirpal Pali, the husband of area councillor Satya said, "Seven illegal water connections have been cut by teams of corporation on Thursday." "I have complained several times to corporation against migrant scrap dealers who mostly reside into Guru Diwan Nagar as they do not maintain hygiene and have illegal water connections but nobody bothered,"said Pali.
MC's additional commissioner PS Jaggi said there was not any leakage in the sewage pipes laid in these localities by corporation. "The diarrohea has out broken due to heaps of garbage, poor sanitation conditions of area and supply of contaminated drinking water,"claimed Jaggi.