Education minister assures reforms from upcoming academic session | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 22, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Education minister assures reforms from upcoming academic session

Aiming to revamp the education system of the state and to woo young, newly enrolled voters before the upcoming Lok Sabha elections, the minister of higher education, education and languages, Sikander Singh Maluka

punjab Updated: Jan 27, 2014 19:13 IST
HT Correspondent

Aiming to revamp the education system of the state and to woo young, newly enrolled voters before the upcoming Lok Sabha elections, the minister of higher education, education and languages, Sikander Singh Maluka who was on a visit to Government Mohindra College on Monday gave an assurance of bringing about new reforms from the coming academic session across the state.


At the convocation of the college, Maluka claimed that in the coming times the government had plans of drafting new policy under which private institutes would have to abide by government guidelines and patterns.

He said: "In order to keep a tab on private institutes so that they do not behave in autocratic way and there is uniformity in fee structures in all educational institutes we have plans of framing a new policy."

The minister also assured the students that in the upcoming academic session from April 1 onwards all universities would have same fee structure and syllabus.

He also assured that the salaries of government teachers, scholars and professors which had been due would also be released soon.

Meanwhile, pitching a high note for the government before the parliamentary elections, the minister said that the government would deliver all its promises.

On the issue of primary schools running without furniture for the students, he said, "chief minister Parkash Singh Badal has already sanctioned the budget of Rs 25 crore for the furniture, out of which Rs 10 crore has already been allocated and Rs 15 crore will be allocated in the coming session."

Moreover, he claimed that 90 per cent of the infrastructure of government schools was ready and in place.

However, on the status of government-aided schools and colleges, the minister took refuge in the contention that discussions were still going on and he blamed the teachers for not having a uniformity in their demand.

He said, "While 75 per cent of the teachers are demanding that they should be employed at government schools, the remaining 25 per cent are demanding that the vacant posts should be filled. They have two different unions with different demands. However, we are still in discussion phase right now".

During the function, as many as 167 postgraduate degrees, and 614 undergraduate degrees were awarded to students of Government Mohindra College.

On the occasion, education minister announced Rs two lakh for the development of the girls hostel and he also laid the foundation stone for MA block.He also inaugurated the Higher Education Institute Society (HEIS) block.