Eight murders took place in the month of August | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 21, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Eight murders took place in the month of August

punjab Updated: Sep 05, 2012 21:10 IST
Arjun Sharma
Arjun Sharma
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Tall claims of the police authorities not withstanding, crime in the city is increasing if one goes by the figures. As many as eight murders were reported in the city in the month of August. Worst still, majority of the crimes are still unsolved.

The month started with a near-fatal attack on a person on August 2. The victim, Satpal Singh, survived the attack, which was the handiwork of his wife. Satpal's wife Kuldeep Kaur, who is a principal in a public school, had allegedly hired her domestic help for Rs 3.5 lakh to kill her husband over a petty issue.

A well-planned murder took place on August 7, when a manager of Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC), Maninder Kaur, was brutally killed allegedly by a couple known to the victim. The murder rocked the city and police were under great pressure to crack the case. Maninder was working at a KFC outlet and was a paying guest. Police claimed to have cracked the case, however, the accused were yet to be arrested.

On August 9, a man murdered his wife by slitting her throat with a kitchen knife, before taking his own life with the same knife.

Himanshu and his wife Smriti lived in Field Ganj area and the husband was reportedly upset over some personal issue due to which he committed the crime.

On August 17, Sukhjinder Singh, a shopowner, was murdered by unidentified persons in Subhash Nagar Chowk area. Singh was first choked with the plastic rope and later stabbed many times. The police suspect that the crime was a result of personal enmity.

In yet another murder case, a woman was killed by her own daughter-in-law on August 25. Nirmala devi (60) was found murdered at her house in Company Bagh area of the city.

Nirmala had come to know about her daughter-in-law's illicit relation with a person. Nirmala was killed when her son was away. Nirmala's daughter-in-law and her paramour had been arrested for the crime.
In the fag end of the month on August 27, two separate murders were reported. A rickshaw-puller and a labourer were found dead in different areas of the city. Body of rickshaw-puller Amarjit Singh (40) was found under a railway over-bridge near the bus stand. On the other hand, body of labourer Rajesh Kumar was found in Fauji Colony in Sherpur area. Both had been murdered.

In most of the said crimes, close relatives or acquaintances were the culprits.

Deputy commissioner of police Gurpreet Singh Toor said that murder cases needed special investigations and it took around 40-60 days for a murder case to get solved. "Some of the murders have been solved within days," he said.

"Some cases may still be unsolved, but the police teams are working day and night on these cases," said Toor.