Finally, FIR lodged in Patiala PG robbery case

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Patiala
  • Updated: Mar 06, 2015 10:53 IST

Police finally registered a first information report (FIR) on Wednesday in the payingguest (PG) accommodation robbery incident on the night of February 12, a day after Hindustan Times highlighted the issue as how cops had failed to address the concerns of students staying outside the Punjabi University campus.

The police did not file any case for over a fortnight even as the crime was captured in a closed-circuit television (CCTV) camera installed in the paying guest accommodation.

The victim too was unwilling in filing a complaint against the accused in this connection since he was scared and reportedly gave in writing to the police for not registering an FIR, it has been learnt.

On Wednesday, the police made the owner of the paying guest accommodation complainant in the case and formed a team to trace the accused immediately.

Hundreds of students, including girls, stay outside the Punjabi University campus, where streets and other public spaces do not have adequate lights and police surveillance.

Station house officer (SHO) Jaswinder Singh said mandatory instructions have been given to the owners of paying-guest accommodations. He said the landlords have been directed to install CCTV cameras and hire security guards on their premises.

The SHO further said the police had increased surveillance in the area and the process to collect information about paying guests has been initiated.

He also appealed to the owners of paying-guest accommodations and hostels to keep vigil.

Some unidentified persons entered a paying-guest accommodation outside the Punjabi University campus at 11:20pm and robbed a student of his laptop at gunpoint.

The victim was so scared that he could not even speak for a while just after the crime took place. Later, he informed his friends and other inmates in the paying guest accommodation about the incident. He then called up to the police control room (PCR) at 12:15 am. A police team reached the spot and started investigations into the case.

A day after the crime, police officials along with the PG inmates watched the CCTV footage. The police confirmed that the accused were carrying weapon and their faces were covered.

also read

Councillor’s report card: Work can wait for controversy’s child Satish Kainth
Show comments