FIR against Pak terror group Jaish-e-Mohammad: DGP

  • Vinay Dhingra, Hindustan Times, Pathankot
  • Updated: Jan 05, 2016 22:15 IST
Defense minster Manohar Parikar along with senior officials of air force and army during the press conference at Pathankot Airbase on Tuesday. (Ravi Kumar/HT Photo)

Even as defence minister Manohar Parrikar remained tight-lipped on whether Pakistan’s involvement in the terror attack, saying that he could not comment till the investigation was on, Punjab Police have registered a first-information report (FIR) against Pakistan-based terrorist organisation Jaish-e-Mohammad.

Director General of Police (DGP) Suresh Arora told a press conference, “We have registered three FIRs. The first has been against Pakistan-based militant outfit Jaish-e-Mohammad, after documents related to the organisation were found in the abandoned car of the abducted SP. Another FIR has been registered in connection with the murder of driver of Innova Ikagar Singh. The third case has been registered against six unidentified terrorists, who attacked the airbase,” he added.

On why Gurdaspur SP Salwinder Singh was not believed initially and action was delayed, the DGP said, “We sent immediate alerts to the Central government. This was for the first time when the National Security Guard (NSG) was pressed into action even before a terrorist attack. This usually happens after the attack has happened.”

He added that the SP’s statement was recorded and senior police officers reached Pathankot soon after the officer and his companion disclosed that they had been abducted by heavily-armed terrorists.

To pointed questions on the SP, the DGP said that there were many things that could not be shared at the moment. On why was the SP’s vehicle was not stopped at police nakas in the region, the DGP said, “It is a matter of investigation.”

The DGP added that the National Investigation Agency (NIA) and Punjab Police would jointly probe the Pathankot attack.

New battalion to be stationed in Pathankot

On being questioned over repeated security breaches in the Narot Jaimal Singh Block and the Bamiyal sector, the DGP claimed that as instructed by deputy chief minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, a new battalion would soon be stationed in Pathankot. He added that an SP (operations) would be also be posted to coordinate with security officials. Another post of assistant inspector general (AIG) would be raised and more CCTVs would be installed. He claimed that with the addition of more personnel, better vigil would be maintained across the border areas.

also read

Chandigarh airport: Work to share Rs 33-cr security cost, HC to Punjab, Haryana
Show comments