Fire at timber store, no casualty | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 25, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Fire at timber store, no casualty

punjab Updated: May 25, 2014 18:17 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times

Another fire broke out at a timber store on Shingar Cinema Road here on Saturday. The fire was spotted at around 5 am when locals saw smoke emanating out of the store.

A fire team reached at 5:35 am and it took them around one hour to douse the fire. Rajesh Kumar, sub-fire officer said that short-circuit could be the cause of the fire.

“When we reached the store it was closed. We opened the shutter of the store by breaking the locks and then we were able to douse the fire. Two fire tenders were used in the operation,” he said.

According to the fire official, the store was filled with wood, a portion of which was gutted, he said. The exact cause of damage is yet to be known.

Fire officials urge people to take preventive steps to avoid fire incidents. Earlier seven major fire incidents have taken place in the city this month. Loose electricity wires and overload were the most common causes of fire.

According to assistant divisional fire officer Bhupinder Singh, 80% of fire incidents in city occur due to short circuit.

The risk of short-circuit is high when there is faulty wiring and overload. He said people should pay attention to replace the old wires and ensure that there were no loose wires.

“Only ISI marked wires should be used and the people should avoid using multi plugs and extensions,” he added.

There should be provision of fire safety equipment in each building, he advised.

The reason behind fire incidents at shops in Chaura Bazaar, Akalg arh market, slums in Jodhewal and other commercial buildings this month was also short circuit.