Fire breaks out at girls' hostel in Tanda Medical College

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Dharamsala
  • Updated: Oct 31, 2014 21:41 IST

A major fire broke out at the girls' hostel of Dr Rajendra Prasad Government Medical College and Hospital (RPGMC), Tanda, in Kangra on late Thursday evening. According to the college authorities, the fire broke out around 9pm in a room of the hostel situated on the college campus.

The students and duty staff gathered at the spot after the students, residing in the hostel, shouted for help.

The authorities immediately evacuated the girls. However, four students, who were trapped inside the room, fainted due to thick smoke and were later admitted in a hospital.

Initially, the students and staff tried to douse the flame, but after they failed to control it, the fire tenders were summoned from Dharamsala and Kangra. The college official said the exact cause of the fire could not be ascertained, but prima-facie the short circuit was the reason behind the incident.

“The room in which the fire broke out was completely gutted,” said RPGMC medical superintendent Dr Dinesh Sood, adding that the authorities had ordered an enquiry into the matter.

He said the loss of property was being assessed.

also read

Shiromani Akali Dal is against use of drugs, money in polls, says CM Badal
Show comments