A fire broke out inside a showroom in the crowded Katra Jaimal Market (chowk) at around 11am on Monday, leading to chaos and panic among people. The blaze lasted for five hours before firemen put it out effectively. The air force fire safety team was also called for aid. There was no loss of life or injury reported.
The fire that damaged the Paanthi showroom was caused due to a short circuit. Bobby, a worker at the shop, said he was alarmed to see smoke issuing out of the showroom when he came to open it at around 11am.
The first floor of the shop was totally engulfed in flames and the blaze also damaged the upper storey of the showroom.
Assistant divisional fire officer Kashmir Singh said the shop caught fire due to synthetic and plastic items. Firemen had to enter the building from the balcony on the first floor.
Police, municipal corporation commissioner Sonali Giri and other officials were present to interact with people. Neighbouring shops were asked to be vacated to ensure safety.