Five doctors get 5-yr jail; 8-yr term for ex-cop
A local court on Friday handed out eight years' imprisonment to a former Haryana policeman and five years' term each to five doctors in a kidney transplant case.punjab Updated: Nov 09, 2013 00:09 IST
A local court on Friday handed out eight years' imprisonment to a former Haryana policeman and five years' term each to five doctors in a kidney transplant case.
The transplant had taken place at a hospital in Jalandhar in 2002 following approval granted by the authorisation committee based in Amritsar.
The sentence was announced by additional district and sessions judge-1 GS Bakshi, who had held all six guilty on November 2. Those who were sentenced include kidney recipient Suresh Kumar Sharma, a retired inspector of the Haryana police. The others are Dr OP Mahajan, former principal of Amritsar Government Medical College and then chairman of the authorisation committee; committee member and then head of department, forensic medicine, Dr Jagdish Gargi; and three doctors then associated with Jalandhar-based New Ruby Hospital Dr SPS Grover, Dr HS Bhutani and Dr Arjinder Singh.
Advocate RK Salwan, who was deputed by the department of home affairs and justice, Punjab, to deal with the case, said, "The case was registered following allegations that the minor donor, Bagicha Singh, was intimidated into giving his kidney to the retired inspector. I am satisfied with the verdict."
Besides the sentence, the court imposed a fine of Rs 82,000 on Sharma, Rs 72,000 each on the Jalandhar-based doctors and Rs 20,000 each on Dr Mahajan and Dr Gargi, Salwan said.
Notably, two other cases in the Amritsar kidney scam are pending in the court.
* In 2002, 17-year-old Bagicha Singh of Jagraon (Ludhiana) was allegedly intimidated into donating his kidney to retired Haryana police inspector Suresh Kumar Sharma
* Bagicha, who died a few years ago in an accident, was allegedly picked up by middleman Baljit Singh from Amritsar and brought before Sharma
* Teenager was produced before Amritsar-based transplant authorisation committee under fake name of Raju; panel was told that he was donating kidney out of "love and affection"
* The committee granted approval for the transplant; the operation took place at a Jalandhar hospital
* Former Amritsar senior superintendent of police (SSP) Kunwar Vijay Partap Singh, then posted as SP (city-1), played key role in unearthing the kidney scam.