Goods worth lakhs were gutted in a fire in a five-storey hosiery unit near Tuttiyan Wala Mandir in Shivpuri on Tuesday evening.
The fire initially broke out on the third floor of the building around 5:45 pm, forcing factory employees to vacate the structure. Sources said the factory lacked fire safety arrangements as per norms.
As 10 fire tenders rushed to the spot, the fire quickly spread to all floors of the building.
Panic gripped residents of the congested Shivpuri area as flames started raging out of the factory windows due to high-velocity wind.
Assistant divisional fire officer Bhupinder Singh said fire had been doused on three floors, while efforts were on to douse it completely, adding that they would check whether the factory fulfilled fire-safety norms.
“There is no information of casualty. The inspection of building will be conducted after dousing the fire,” he said.