Four labourers sustained injuries as a major fire broke out at Udey Fabrics, a textile unit in Kohara, in the wee hours of Wednesday. One of the injured Malkit Singh was rushed to the SPS Apollo Hospital, while remaining three are undergoing treatment at Guru Kripa Hospital, Kohara.
The fire was so intense that even the fire-extinguishing cylinder lying in the hall blasted. It took over two hours to douse the fire. Eight fire tenders from Ludhiana and Samrala were pressed in to action.
The reason behind the incident could not be ascertained yet, but the factory owner is suspecting short circuit as the probable cause behind the incident. Soon, after the incident, volunteers from Sri Bhaini Sahib (followers of Namdhari sect) came forward for the rescue operation.
According to Harbhajan Singh, owner of Udey Fabrics, the fire was noticed in the newly constructed hall around 4.45am on Wednesday. It spread like lightning in the hall where they had stored manufactured goods.
"The employees who were present at the factory tried to control the fire, but failed to do so. While trying to control it, workers sustained injuries," the factory owner said. He added, "We incurred loss in lakhs, but the exact amount would be ascertained later."
The factory does have its two fire tenders and a tube well on the premises. The factory authorities also made an announcement through speakers of the shrines in surrounding villages and publicised their phone numbers so that farmers could contact then in case of a fire break out in the wheat crops.