The Punjab and Haryana high court came down heavily on Chandigarh airport chief executive officer Sunil Dutt for filing a misleading affidavit in January, wherein he had submitted that international operations had already started, citing the landing of a plane carrying French President Francois Hollande during his visit to the city in January. “You (respondents) are mocking at the HC. This is mockery… Are we kids here? Who has filed this affidavit? The high court is looking like a fool with this kind of affidavit,” the bench observed, adding that it was surprising that the CEO filed such an affidavit and was let off by the coordinate (previous) bench.
Further, the high court has said it would order the registration of a first-information report (FIRs) against officers responsible for holding up the decision on starting international flights from the newly-built Chandigarh international airport in SAS Nagar, if the Centre failed to clarify its stand during the next hearing in the matter scheduled for Monday (March 21).
In December 2015, the Mohali Industries Association had filed a public interest litigation (PIL) in the high court highlighting that international flights had not started from the airport, even three months after its inauguration in September. The petition had sought directions to start international flights.
During the resumed hearing on Thursday, the court said prima facie it appeared a case of ‘embezzlement’ and those involved should face criminal proceedings.