Pinky, aka Toshi, 65, who was one of the three mid-day meal workers injured in fire caused by a leaking gas cylinder at Government Primary School, Nabipur, on Thursday, died while undergoing treatment at a private hospital in Amritsar on Friday evening.
The deceased is survived by three sons and a daughter. Her daughter-in-law Kamaljit Kaur, who was working as a substitute at the school, also received burn injuries and is undergoing treatment at the civil hospital in Gurdaspur.
Pinky and another worker, Sunita, who received over 50% burns, were referred to the Government Medical College and Hospital, Amritsar. Pinky’s son Daniel said she was moved to a private hospital on Friday morning on the advice of doctors at the government hospital.
Gurdaspur district education officer (primary) Salwinder Singh remained in Amritsar to extend help to the victims.