Ghuman botched-up eye surgeries: No headway even after a week | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 20, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Ghuman botched-up eye surgeries: No headway even after a week

punjab Updated: Dec 11, 2014 22:56 IST
Vishal Sally
Vishal Sally
Hindustan Times

Even more than a week after the Ghuman botched-up eye surgeries incident came to light, Batala police are yet to make any headway in this case. The police have even failed to identify the persons, who were running the administration of the hospital, where 153 surgeries were conducted without the permission of the health authorities.

Ever since the case was registered at the Ghuman police station falling under the jurisdiction of Batala police on December 5, the functioning of the Batala police is under scanner. Earlier, the police put the entire responsibility behind the delay in investigation on the health department and maintained that they were waiting for the report from the department after which they will take further action in this case. Now when the health department had submitted the report with the police, the police chief is in a denial mode.

There seems no coordination between the two departments, who are collectively investigating this case, which left as many as 33 people partially blind.

When contacted, Gurdaspur civil surgeon, Dr Rajneesh Sood, said that the three-member committee, including SMO (Bham) Harbajhan Singh, had prepared its report which has already been mailed to the office of the Batala SSP on December 9.

When questioned about the contents, he refused to divulge the details of the report.

Contrary to the claims of civil surgeon, Batala SSP Inderbir Singh claimed that his office had not received any report till date. When questioned about the action against the hospital administration, which was named in the FIR, he was not able to give any satisfactory reply.

After arresting Jalandhar-based doctor Vivek Joshi on December 5 in this case, the police took a u-turn and when the entire media was waiting for his production in court, the police gave him bail on personal bond at the police station itself even as the offences made out against him were non-bailable.

The resistance of the Batala police in taking action against the administration of Guru Nanak Multi-Specialty Hospital, where surgeries were conducted without the valid permission of the health department, is only adding to the misery of those 33 people, who want the guilty to be brought to book as soon as possible.

It is learnt that the hospital administration has close ties with a ruling party leader, who has been influencing the police to act lax in their investigations.