A Class-5 student of government elementary school Gondpur in Dasuya sub- division died minutes after consuming mid-day meal and de-worming medicine on Thursday.
Jagroop Kaur, 10, was playing with other students when she suddenly collapsed. The girl was taken to the Bhunga civil hospital where she was declared brought dead.
School head Vimla Devi said nearly 30 students had taken the meal and medicine and were fine. “Jagroop was playing with other children when she suddenly collapsed. Initially, we thought that she might have fallen unconscious due to heat stroke. We rushed her to the hospital but she could not be revived,” said Vimla.
The girl’s family alleged that spurious food or expired medicine had claimed her life. “My daughter was perfectly fine when she went to the school in the morning. Either the food or the medicine she consumed was spurious”, said her father Gurdip Singh, a driver.
Civil surgeon Sanjiv Babuta, however, claimed that the girl had died following an epilepsy attack. “An eight-member team conducted a thorough examination and concluded that the girl suffered an epilepsy fit. She fell on the ground and was choked by sand,” he said. Babuta said no other student had complained of any problem. “We have sent samples of food and tablets for examination,” he added.