Girl suffers pelvic fracture while boarding Shatabdi | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Girl suffers pelvic fracture while boarding Shatabdi

punjab Updated: Jan 05, 2014 19:08 IST
Harshraj Singh
Harshraj Singh
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A 20-year-old student of Government College for Girls (GCG) was injured after she lost control while boarding a train and got stuck between the platform and the coach at the Ludhiana railway station on Sunday morning.

The victim, who did not wish to be named, suffered a pelvic fracture in the mishap and was admitted to Dayanand Medical College and Hospital (DMCH), where she is stated to be out of danger.

A final-year student of BSc at GCG, the victim, along with 60 other students and teachers, was to board the Shatabdi Express for a tour to Bangalore and Hyderabad.

According to the eyewitnesses, she was stepping on the train, when it started moving, due to which she lost control and got stuck in the space between the platform and the moving train. The train was stopped and the victim was rushed to the hospital.

The college authorities accused the railway staff of negligence, claiming that the train was late by 15 minutes, and halted for only one minute, not giving enough time to passengers to board. The train was supposed to arrive at 6:52 am, with departure at 6:57 am.

A professor at GCG, Kuldip Singh, who was accompanying the students, said, “The train was late and stopped for only a minute at the railway station. As the train started moving, a student could not step inside the coach and got injured.”

When contacted, college principal Gurminder Kaur said, “It is negligence on the part of railway authorities, as they did not stop the train for five minutes. Our student got injured as one minute was not enough for all passengers to get on the train.”

Station superintendent, Ravinder Sharma was not available for comment.

Deputy station superintendent AS Loharia denied the claims of the college staff. He said, “There was another official on duty, but I was told that the Shatabdi Express arrived at 7:15am and halted for five minutes. However, after the incident, the train stopped and then departed at 7:25am. There was no negligence on the railways' side.”