A major fire that broke out at a hosiery factory, Advaits International, dealing in T-shirts on Friday midnight gutted machinery, raw materials and finished goods worth crores.
It took around 12 hours for 35 fire tenders to douse the flames. The building that caught fire also got damaged.
Fire at the factory in Sundar Nagar started at around 1.30am. Neighbours informed factory owner Pankaj, who immediately called the fire brigade. The factory watchman was sleeping when the incident took place.
Fortunately, no worker was present in the factory, otherwise the situation could have turned worse.
"The fire broke out from the basement of the factory and soon spread. Short circuit in power cables could be the reason behind the inferno. I have incurred a loss of crores in the incident as finished goods, machinery and raw materials were gutted and the building also got damaged," said Pankaj.
According to fire officer Amarjit Sharma, when the factory caught fire, they were at the Lalton power station, where another fire had broken out.
The factory had fire-extinguishers, but they were of no help as the flames flared up quickly. It took around 12 hours to control the flames.