Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) chief Avtar Singh Makkar has expressed serious concern over ‘birs’ (copy of the Guru Granth Sahib) being damaged in accidental fires due to short-circuit in gurdwaras in villages.
In this context, he referred to recent cases of scriptures catching fire in Ganghor village in Barnala district and Kalakh village in Ludhiana district.
“We have time and again appealed to gurdwara managements to use superior quality electrical wires and other such equipment. It has come to light that inferior quality electrical equipment was being used in shrines”, Makkar said in a statement in Amritsar.
Makkar also raised concern over incident of sacrilege at Bhittewad village in Amritsar district recently and asked police to identify and arrest the accused immediately.