Hisar: Future of 3,125 students hangs in balance

  • Neeraj Mohan, None
  • Updated: Jun 10, 2015 09:56 IST

HBSE secretary Pankaj, while speaking to media persons earlier, had said the decision was taken after the SLCs of these students were found bogus but did not say why it took the board three years to verify their authenticity.

Unanswered questions

“Why (has) the board taken three years to cancel our results? I was preparing for admission in Class 12 and now I will have to sit in Class 9. Is it justified?” an aggrieved student, Pooja, said. “The decision of the board is wrong, as they have converted us to open category and for the open board, there is no need of Class 9 certificate.”

Ghanshyam Sharma, president of the PSS, said, “They are playing with the future of these students. We have met (the) secretary and other officers of the board but they refused to give any assurance and told us to go to the government.” “This is injustice. If their SLCs were bogus, why (did) the board (take) three years to announce it,” he said, adding that the board has threatened them with an FIR against the students’ schools.

Another 5,000 banned for copying in exam

Taking a tough stance against students caught copying in board exams, the HBSE has decided to ban some 5,000 students. As per the information available, about 2,813 students from Class 12 and 2,200 students from Class 10 were caught cheating by the flying squads during the annual exams earlier this year.

What went wrong

It all started back in September 2013, when the board withheld the results of first semester of Class 10 exams of about 7,000 students. After the PSS objected, the board assured swift verification of the SLCs of the affected students. After the SLCs were verified, 3,125 students’ documents were found suspicious and the board refused to declare their second semester results in March 2014. The private schools once again objected and met the then secretary and chairman of the board.

In August 2014, prior to the general elections, the board decided to declare the pending results but changed their category from regular to open. In February 2015, as a new government came to power, the board once again withheld the results and declared the students’ SLCs for Class 9 ‘fake and bogus.

also read

Poll panel raises questions on Punjab govt’s ‘achievement booklet’
Show comments