Another man has died after consuming illicit liquor. Gareeb Dass, resident of Shahabad village under Batala police station, died after consuming hooch on Thursday, while two persons, who had consumed the poisonous liquor, were referred to Guru Nanak Dev Hospital, Amritsar.
According to Dr Sukhdeep Singh, senior medical officer, civil hospital, Batala, Gareeb was brought dead to the hospital on Thursday morning; his relatives alleged that he had died of consuming hooch in the village on Wednesday night.
With this, the number of such recent deaths has risen to 17.
Dr Singh said another affected person, Onkar Singh, a resident of Jauda Singha village, near Johal Nangal village, where nine persons died of consuming the hooch, was admitted to the civil hospital as he complained of irritation in the eyes, and was referred to Guru Nanak Dev Hospital, Amritsar.
Ranga Masih, a resident of Johal Nangal village, who was admitted to the civil hospital on Tuesday, was also referred to Guru Nanak Dev Hospital, Amritsar, after he complained of having lost vision.
SSP Rajpal Singh said the police had conducted surprise raids on the hideouts of illicit liquor smugglers and arrested seven people.