Hoshiarpur councillors allege MC bias | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 09, 2016-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Hoshiarpur councillors allege MC bias

punjab Updated: Feb 07, 2014 22:26 IST
Highlight Story

Resentment prevails in Congress and a section of BJP against the municipal corporation authorities for ignoring their wards for development works.


The corporation has invited bids for works worth Rs 7.30crore but seven wards represented by Congress, SAD and BJP councillors have been left out allegedly due to political reasons.

First it was district Congress president and local MLA Sunder Sham Arora, who protested against this 'bias' and, on Friday, SAD and BJP leaders also voiced their concern against the alleged discrimination. A deputation of newly formed NaMo brigade also met commissioner Sukhwinder Pal Singh Marar to raise the matter.

Arora said that it was unfortunate that the authorities were working under the influence of a particular leader who was rejected by the electorate in the previous elections. "It is an insult ofo democracy and the public sentiment", he said. Arora alleged that no bids had been invited for works in the Congress-led seven wards. "Are people of these wards not part of the city? Do they not pay government taxes? Why should they be made to pay for the whims of certain narrow thinking leaders?," he questioned.

He alleged that the government was befooling people by announcing that it was providing Rs 3crore to each assembly constituency for development. "The money, in fact belongs to the municipal bodies. It is the excise duty which is being passed off as fresh government grant," Arora claimed.

Former councillors of SAD and BJP, whose wards do not figure in the development list, have also complained of political bias. They said their wards were being ignored because they had refused to toe the line of a particular leader. "It is for the administration to ensure that development funds were spent uniformly," they added.

Contacted, Marar admitted that he had received complaints from some quarters. He said he had asked the officials concerned to prepare an estimate of left-out wards as soon as possible.