A two and a half storey residential house was gutted in a devastating fire that broke out at the historic Naggar village in left bank belt of the valley, 23 km from here, on Wednesday night.
Sources said the gutted house had belonged to one Leela Devi, a local villager. A fire tender from Manali was rushed to Naggar but it had failed to control the fire as the fire tender could not work properly.
Later, another fire tender from Kullu reached the village, but by that time the entire residential building was gutted. However, with the massive firefighting operation by the firemen and Naggar residents, the rest of the village was saved from being gutted. The cause of fire could not be immediately ascertained. Naggar residents suspect that the house might have caught fire due to electric short-circuit.
Locals complained that due to narrow and congested roads, fire tenders were not able to reach the village at Naggar.
Govind Singh Thakur, local MLA and district BJP president also visited Naggar village and met the fire victims. The MLA sought immediate relief for the victims from the government.