I insisted on slowing down but it was too late:Car crash survivor | punjab$chandigarh | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 29, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

I insisted on slowing down but it was too late:Car crash survivor

punjab Updated: Nov 05, 2015 10:00 IST
Gurpreet Singh Chhina
Khuda Ali Sher

A cop talking to Gaurav at the latter’s house in Panchkula on Wednesday.(Sant Arora/HT Photo)

The two student survivors in the Khuda Ali Sher car crash were those who had fallen off the car as a portion of the vehicle’s roof had come off after it hit a tree. Three others who got stuck inside the vehicle lost their lives.

“I remember the car ramming into a tree, its roof coming off and it tossing about 10 feet in the air. I and Aditya Batra fell off the car and survived,” said Gaurav Redhal, a first-year student of Army Institute of Law. The three students who lost their lives in the mishap were Karan (19), Anish Garg (16) and Chinmay (18).

Gaurav said he had been asking Chinmay to slow down and by the time he applied the brakes, it was too late. “Despite having an injury in the spine, I could get up. A passerby informed the police control room and my family members after taking ph one numbers of my father and sister from me,” Gaurav said.

Gaurav said he, along with his sisters, had gone to attend the PEC fest in their car where he met his friend Sahil Sangwan, a PEC student and hosteller. Sahil introduced Gaurav to Karan, Anish and Chinmay. Sahil insisted on having dinner together and they decided to go to Sector 11 in two cars. Gaurav, along with Aditya, Karan, Anish sat in Chinmay’s car and started following Sahil, who was driving a Maruti Alto car.

Gaurav said Chinmay mistakenly started following a wrong Alto car on the Nayagoan-Khuda Ali Sher. “After realising that we were following a wrong car, we called up Sahil to know where he was. Chinmay took a U-turn and started driving at a high speed to catch up with Sahil and the tragedy happened,” Gaurav said.

He said he was sitting behind Chinmay, Aditya was sitting behind the co-pilot seat and Karan was sitting in between them. Chinmay was driving and Anish was sitting on the co-pilot’s seat.

Gaurav’s father Suresh Redhal said he went numb when he got a call from the PGIMER that his son had met with a mishap. Suresh said he, along with family members, reached the PGI, where Gaurav was able to talk to them and they shifted him to Fortis hospital.

He said, “We still are grateful to God that the worst didn’t happen to our family.” He said that all the students were very intelligent and studying in various prestigious institutes. “We all are praying for Aditya, who still is under treatment at the PGIMER,” he said.

The police said there were no streetlights at the accident spot and the driver couldn’t manoeuvre the turn due to high speed.

Meanwhile, the police said they would book Chinmay for rash driving. Earlier, a case had been registered against an unidentified person as the cops did not know who was driving.

Chinmay, Anish’s seat belts were intact

Investigating officer Narinder Singh said he sent Gaurav and Aditya to PGIMER first. Chinmay, Karan and Anish were in the car and to bring them out, a portion of the car was cut. The police said the steering wheel had hit Chinmay in the ribs, while other two victims died of head injuries.

Read: Three students killed, 2 injured as car rams into tree in Chandigarh