IIT Mandi clash 4 bouncers surrender, sent to police remand

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Mandi
  • Updated: Aug 11, 2015 20:34 IST

Four bouncers accused of opening fire in the IIT Mandi clash on June 20 surrendered before the Mandi police on Tuesday.

The accused identified as Baljeet alias Balli, Balvinder and Gurvinder Singh, all residents of Fatehgarh Sahib, Punjab, and Satveer Singh of Haryana, were presented in court that sent them to police custody until August 14.

Notably the clash at the under-construction site of north campus of Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kamand in Drang segment of Mandi district had left four bouncers from Punjab, hired by civil contractor Rajiv Kumar, dead and nine others injured. Five of the injured were also from Punjab, while the remaining were villagers who received bullet injuries after bouncers opened fire on them during an agitation on June 20.

Later as many as five injured bouncers (civil contractor Rajiv had termed them as security guards) were admitted at PGIMER, Chandigarh, from where they went missing on June 25.

Mandi superintendent of police (SP) Prem Thakur said the accused had been booked under Sections 302 (murder), 323 (voluntarily causing hurt), 147 (rioting), 148 (rioting, armed with deadly weapon), 451 (house-trespass), 436 (mischief by fire or explosive substance with intent to destroy house, etc) and 427 (mischief causing damage to the amount of fifty rupees) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) at a case registered at Padhar police station on June 21.

also read

Shiromani Akali Dal is against use of drugs, money in polls, says CM Badal
Show comments