Injuries on youth's body, not given electric shock, says doctors' panel

  • Jatinder Kohli, Hindustan Times, Jalandhar
  • Updated: May 03, 2014 20:56 IST

A panel of doctors at the civil hospital on Saturday said there were injuries on different body parts of the youth whose family had earlier alleged that he was given third-degree torture in police custody on Monday after he was arrested in a snatching case.

Set up by the hospital administration, a three-doctor medical board comprising Dr Ashok Kumar, Dr Hardev Singh and Dr Raj Kumar conducted a physical examination of the youth on Saturday after his family brought him for check up.

A doctor said there were "healed" injury marks on his face, hips, thighs, back and an eye. The board, however, ruled out the possibility that the youth was given electric shocks.

The doctor said the injuries showed the youth was beaten up. He said the board had asked for an x-ray examination of the youth's body to be conducted on Monday, adding that the report had been sent to the police and the hospital administration.

The report has put the Jalandhar commissionerate police in the dock as they have been denying charges of third-degree torture to the youth during his interrogation after he was arrested for snatching.

The youth had gone missing on Tuesday and returned home Friday night after reportedly spending two nights at the cantonment railway station.

Sunita Rani, the youth's mother, produced the copy of his birth certificate which shows his birth date as September 3, 1997 showing him to be a juvenile.

The certificate was issued by the Vazir Bhullar sub-health centre in Amritsar on August 19 last year.

The commisisonerate police have already ordered a probe whether third-degree torture meted out to the youth following the allegations made by his mother. Investigations are still underway.

Additional deputy commissioner of police (headquarters) Naveen Singla, who is the investigation officer in the case, said, "The inquiry into the allegations made by the youth's mother is still on. It will take some time to complete."

Singla further said when the police arrested the youth on April 28, he himself confessed that he was 19. The police also called up his mother as per apex court guidelines but no one responded that time, he said. On the basis of youth's statement, the police got his one-day police remand, Singla added.

He said it was up to his family members to tell the police whether he was below 18. If his mother produced documents to police, they would verify and act accordingly, he further said.

The ADCP said if the youth was proven to be minor, the police would inform the court about his earlier confession of being adult.

A day after his arrest, the youth allegedly went missing from the Surya Enclave police post following which after a sub-inspector and a head constable were suspended and a case was registered against them.

also read

Chandigarh int’l airport: Work to share Rs 33-cr security cost, HC tells Punjab,...
Show comments