When 23-year-old Vikas Bhatnagar was about to open a bottle of Mountain Dew that he had bought at a bakery store, he got the shock of his life when he noticed insects floating in the carbonated soft drink.
"It was downright disgusting! I kept looking at the insects, trying all the while not to imagine how it would have felt if I had taken a sip of the cold drink and the insects had landed in my mouth".
Bhatnagar promptly protested to the storeowner, showing him the insects in the bottle.
Ankush Mahajan, who runs Mahajan Di Hatti in Dandi Swami, admitted the bottle was "substandard" and had obviously been tampered with and he would file a complaint with the distributor as the soft drink could have caused serious health problems if it had been consumed.
Though Bhatnagar also mailed a complaint to the head office of PepsiCo, which owns and produces the Mountain Dew brand, providing manufacturing details including the batch number, the company has not replied so far.
He even uploaded a photograph of the bottle with insects inside on the Mountain Dew page on Facebook, but the company ignored it.
Bhatnagar is taking the matter seriously. He has also sent written complaints to the district health officer and the civil surgeon.
"Incidents of insects being found in soft drink bottles, posing grave health risks for consumers, have become all too common", he averred.
When contacted district health officer Abnash Kumar said: "We conduct tests regularly on samples of soft drinks and other beverages.
If such complaints are substantiated we'll take punitive action against those responsible."