Inter-university archery: GNDU debars 8 varsities from participation
In a repeat of the All India Inter-University Shooting championship, Guru Nanak Dev University (GNDU) didn't allow the archers of eight universities to paticipate in the All India Inter-University Archery competition, which was inaugurated on Monday, on the campus.punjab Updated: Feb 05, 2013 22:47 IST
In a repeat of the All India Inter-University Shooting championship, Guru Nanak Dev University (GNDU) didn't allow the archers of eight universities to paticipate in the All India Inter-University Archery competition, which was inaugurated on Monday, on the campus.
Archers had a tough time on Tuesday, as strong winds didn't let them find targets. The more dejected were those who were not allowed to participate in the event by the hosts on the ground that it received their documents late.
"The archers who were not allowed to participate belonged to 8 universities. They were not pemitted as some of their documents did not reach us in time and thus didn't meet the guidelines of the AIU (Association of Indian Universities)," claimed GNDU deputy director for sports HS Randhawa.
The archers who were not allowed to take part were from Maharishi Dayananad University (MDU), Rohtak; Nagpur University; Goa University; Gauhati Unversity; Osmania University; Sholapur University, Bilaspur University and Kakinda University.
Randhawa defended the decision on the plea that the detailed entries for participation in the event of these eight universities did not reach GNDU before the last date, which was January 18. The detailed entries confirm the participation of a university in a particular event and these are dispatched by the participating team after the normal entry documents.
The archers of the debarred teams were also not permitted entry onto the GNDU campus. Many of them spent the cold night at the railway station or in some hotel or dharamshala.
GNDU authorities probably did not allow them onto the campus after their experience in last month's inter university shooting competition. On the same ground, the shooters of nine universities were not allowed to participate in that event but they were allowed to stay on the campus. This led to the a showdown by the debarred shooters on the inaugural day and also led to a physical confrontation with the organisers.
"We did not allow them on the campus as we don't have accommodation," said Randhawa, while dismissing allegations of the debarred teams that they were deliberately thrown out and GNDU authorities could have been accommodated them on humanitarian grounds.
MDU contests debarring
The officials of Maharishi Dayanand University claimed that they had dispatched the detailed entry documents to GNDU well in time and there was no question that the documents did not reach it before January 18.
Senior MDU official and Olympics archery referee, Rajinder Garg, said, "We had sent the detailed entry forms on January 14. But the GNDU authorites have claimed that the document reached them on January 28, which is not true. They told us through a faxed message dated January 29 that we will not be allowed to participate. But still we came as our case was fit for participation".
Garg claimed that MDU was deliberately kept out as it was in contention for the Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (MAKA ) trophy along with some other universities, including GNDU.
"First they did not allow our shooters to participate and now our archers. It is a well planned move so as to keep us out from the contenders list for the trophy," he said, while pointing out that their archers spent night at the railway station.
Garg said that even AIU officials who were intimated took up the case of the eight teams but the hosts refused to budge. With hopes shattered, the MDU archers left for home while members of other teams are staying back, hoping to once again fight their case on Wednesday.