Jalandhar collapse death toll rises to 13; 64 rescued so far | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Jalandhar collapse death toll rises to 13; 64 rescued so far

punjab Updated: Apr 19, 2012 14:41 IST
Rajeev Bhaskar
Rajeev Bhaskar
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Death toll in the factory building collapse in Focal Point area of Jalandhar rose to 13 on Wednesday, as three more bodies were dug out from the rubble. The rescue team also brought out a trapped person safely, 55 hours after the tragedy.

The joint rescue operation launched by National Disaster Response Force, Army, police and volunteers of Dera Sacha Saudha continued for the third consecutive day on Wednesday. Debris from the upper portion of the collapsed structure was being cleared during the round-the-clock operation.

Hydra cranes, JCB machines, gas cutters apart from sniffer dogs were pressed into service to accelerate the rescue operation.

NDRF headquarters DIG JKS Rawat visited the spot on Wednesday to supervise the rescue operation and guided the force about the strategy to be adopted for speedy rescue efforts.

"We are now using life detectors, victim location cameras and other collapse structural search and rescue equipment to search for victims still trapped under the debris," Rawat told Hindustan Times.

Wire cameras inserted beneath the debris on Wednesday morning revealed about five to six bodies lying at a particular location. Efforts were on to bring out the bodies,, he said.

About the number of persons still feared trapped under the debris, the DIG expressed ignorance, adding that the rescue operation would continue for a minimum of two days more.

On the chances of survival of the victims especially after 65 hours of the tragedy, Rawat said, "We never lose hope and many a times it has been noticed that victims survive even for four days."

Meanwhile, medical experts said that there were very dim chances of survival of any victims since most were trapped in the basement where there was no proper ventilation.

Rescue teams drilled holes into the collapsed roof through which victim location cameras were sent in, but there was no signal of any person alive under the debris.

Unlike the case on Tuesday, better coordination among different rescue teams and presence of district administration senior officials was witnessed during the operation on Wednesday.