Jalandhar collapse: Rescue operation nears end as toll stands at 23
The week-long rescue operation inched towards a close today even as the kin of one migrant worker feared trapped under the debris were still in the dark about his status. A rescue official said the operation would be completed by Tuesday morning.punjab Updated: Apr 24, 2012 13:40 IST
The week-long rescue operation inched towards a close today even as the kin of one migrant worker feared trapped under the debris were still in the dark about his status. A rescue official said the rescue operation would be completed by Tuesday morning.
It is pertinent to mention here that the rescue operation by the National Disaster Response Force, army, police and volunteers began last Monday morning, during which 23 bodies were recovered from the debris of the building that had collapsed on April 15 night.
A rescue team from NDRF is still on the job, but there is no hope of life under the debris. Foul smell emanating from the debris has made the team hope about the recovery of mortal remains of some more trapped workers.
"We have searched almost 85% of the debris. After the recovery of two bodies on Sunday, nothing has been found since. Since a foul smell is coming from the debris, operation is on to comb the area in search of any buried body," NDRF commandant RK Verma told Hindustan Times.
"All efforts will be made by the NDRF team to recover the last body that may lie buried under the debris. It seems the entire search operation will be completed by Tuesday morning," Verma said.
Meanwhile, the army team left the venue and thus the entire operation was left in the hands of NDRF personnel, who pressed excavators, cranes and JCB machines round the clock to clear the debris.
When contacted, deputy commissioner Priyank Bharti confirmed that the army contingent had left since not much work of combing was left and the NDRF team was enough for the remaining operation.
After search of the entire debris, clearance certificate would be obtained by the district administration before leaving the venue and clearance of remaining debris would be done by the local civic authorities.
Even volunteers of Dera Sacha Sauda, who also played a significant role in the rescue operation, left the spot on Monday. Even senior administration and police officials were not seen at the venue and only middle-ranked officials were coordinating with the rescue team.
Health officials were spraying chemicals at the spot to avoid spread of epidemic in the area.
Although the rescue operation is drawing to a close, Heer Chand is hoping against hope for the well-being of his brother-in-law Radhey Mohan, who was feared trapped under the debris. Chand was stationed at the spot and evinced keen interest in gathering any information whatsoever regarding any body found by NDRF team.
A total of Rs 3,04,200 compensation was distributed to 42 workers injured in the factory collapse so far. Four injured, who had to undergo amputation, were given Rs 43,500 each. Two others were given Rs 9,300 each, while the rest were given Rs 3,100 each.