Rescue operation, which began on Monday morning to rescue the workers who were trapped under the debris of the building collapsed in focal point area, today got gloomy as several parts of human body including head, legs, hands were recovered during clearing process of debris.
Although, death toll remained 19, but rescue team found it extremely difficult to recover six dead bodies, which were spotted last evening, as they same were so badly struck under the debris.
At about 2 PM, entire rescue operation was to get stopped as a head was found when the JCB machine was removing the debris and few minutes later other limbs including hands and legs were found.
All the limps were respectfully removed by the rescue team and operation began after half an hour.
Colonel Simarjeet Singh, who is heading the army team involved in the rescue operation revealed that some of the dead bodies were decomposed in such a bad manner, it is very difficult to bring out entire dead body.
“Even rats are found nibbling the dead bodies, making it difficult to recognize the deceased”, Col Singh said adding that civil authorities are spraying chemicals on the debris to rescue dead bodies from decomposition, rats and to avoid foul smell.
He revealed that for continuing rescue operation, entire area has been bifurcated in different parts to create clear surface for use of machinery in operation. “Although machinery is being used in operation but whenever any dead body is noticed, use of machinery gets stopped to evacuate the dead body”, he added.
About chances of life under the debris, Col Singh admitted that there are very dim chances of survival of victims but he has still not lost hope and before removing debris from any new areas, efforts are being made to look for any live person by creating way to enter into debris.
“Gloves and masks are being used by the rescue team to avoid any infection”, he said adding that to avoid spread of epidemic, spray of required medicines is being done by the health officials.
Commandant of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), RK Verma said that rescue operation has now accelerated and the entire area has been divided into two parts, where from another end army is doing its operation.
“So far NDRF team has evacuated nine dead bodies and saved 12 lives by bringing them out from debris”, he said adding that data including photograph, identity and name of the deceased as well as rescued person is being kept by the NDRF team for its record.
Asked how much time the rescue operation would take, he expressed inability to reveal time frame but said until and unless there are chances of life and dead bodies are trapped under the debris, the operation would continue.
When the rescue operation was on, a migrant woman came on the spot in search of her husband, identified as Bhagwan Das (35) who was trapped under the debris.
“I live with my three children at Gorakhpur and my husband was on duty when the mishap took place”, Chandravati said adding that she had to borrow money to reach Jalandhar.
Meanwhile, several migrants were seen roaming at the spot with hope of rescue of their nears and dears. As soon as they got information regarding recovery of any dead body, they tried their best to have glimpse of the body to confirm whether it is of their relative.