Jalandhar MC will start four-lane project next week: Mayor Sunil Jyoti
The four-lane project of Jalandhar-Kapurthala road at Basti Bawa Khel area, hanging fire from over two years will start from next week, municipal corporation Jalandhar (MCJ) authorities said on Tuesday.punjab Updated: Jul 27, 2016 15:10 IST
The four-lane project of Jalandhar-Kapurthala road at Basti Bawa Khel area, hanging fire from over two years will start from next week, municipal corporation Jalandhar (MCJ) authorities said on Tuesday.
Mayor Sunil Jyoti said a few days back, the MCJ had sent a letter to Major General VK Bhatt, technical adviser to chief minister Parkash Singh Badal, requesting them to allow the civic body to take up the project, adding that the response to the letter is expected this week.
“The project is one of the biggest requirements of the locals and also the daily commuters. We will try to start the work on immediate basis,” Jyoti said.
Last month, VK Bhatt had raised questions over the construction of the four-lane road, even though the four kilometre area is under National Highway Authority of India (NHAI).
Bhatt had asked the MCJ to approach Public Works Department (PWD) to pursue the four-lane project rather than taking it up themselves.
The MC had planned the construction of road at a cost of Rs 8.5 crore. The proposal for the same was submitted to Punjab Infrastructure Board Development (PIDB). However, the estimate submitted by PWD for the proposed road work is Rs 5.13 crore.
MC didn’t receive NHAI’s consent
Even though it’s been more than two weeks when the MCJ in the presence of DC Kamal Kishor held a meeting with representatives of NHAI and agreed to the demand of MCJ to let them take over the project, as claimed by MC officials, the civic body has not received the confirmation letter on the same.
“We are hopeful that we will get the written confirmation soon,” said Sunil Jyoti.