Advertisement

HindustanTimes Wed,23 Jul 2014

Dal Khalsa slams Sukhbir for cancelling Canada tour

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  Rubbishing reports that deputy chief minister Sukhbir Badal's Canada tour had been cancelled due to security concerns, radical Sikh organisation Dal Khalsa has alleged that the junior Badal was afraid to face the Sikh diaspora and demanded his resignation from party presidentship. Hoshiarpur, August 23, 2013
First Published: 17:55 IST(23/8/2013) | Last Updated: 17:56 IST(23/8/2013)

Rubbishing reports that deputy chief minister Sukhbir Badal's Canada tour had been cancelled due to security concerns, radical Sikh organisation Dal Khalsa has alleged that the junior Badal was afraid to face the Sikh diaspora and demanded his resignation from party presidentship.

Advertisement


In an open letter to Sukhbir Badal, Dal Khalsa head Harchranjit Singh Dhami said, "It would be in the interest of the SAD and the Sikh panth if you could resign from the presidentship of the SAD and allow someone take up the reins who has moral courage to interact with the Sikh diaspora and live up to their expectations."

Contesting the claim that the Canadian government had refused to provide adequate security cover to the deputy chief minister, Dhami said it was a lame excuse. "Cancellation of the tour has sent a clear message that you are a weak leader, who lacks political will to face the masses," the letter read.

"A big section of Canadian Sikh population is angry and upset with the SAD-led government for failing to bring the human rights violators and guilty police officers to book. They were also annoyed because the government has given plum posts to officers infamous for rights abuses. SAD has not fulfilled its elections promises of 1997 for setting up of truth commission to look into the rights abuses during militancy era," Dhami added. "There are several other contentious issues related to Sikh identity for which people want answers from the party which calls itself their protagonist. You should not have run away from them."

comment Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of www.hindustantimes.com
blog comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement
more from Jalandhar

City to lose bus service from July 30

Irked by the plying of illegal autos and inaction of the Municipal Corporation of Jalandhar (MCJ) in banning the autos, the city bus operating company has been forced to stop its services from July 30.

Advertisement

 
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved