Advertisement

HindustanTimes Thu,21 Aug 2014

Dengue hits Hoshiarpur;17 patients test positive

Harpreet Kaur , Hindustan Times  Hoshiarpur, September 09, 2013
First Published: 15:13 IST(9/9/2013) | Last Updated: 15:15 IST(9/9/2013)

At least 17 patients in the local civil hospital alone have tested positive for dengue in the last one month or so. As many as 5 cases have tested positive in the last few days. The number of suspected patients is much more.

Advertisement

Private hospitals too have reported confirmed dengue cases but the district health authorities are not maintaining their record.

"We have registered 17 confirmed cases of dengue, of which 12 have come from urban and 5 from rural areas. Five cases came to light on Saturday. The list includes names of patients who were directly admitted to DMCH Ludhiana", said district epidemiologist Dr Sailesh.

"We have launched a house-to-house anti-larvae treatment drive in the city with special focus on affected areas. As the five new cases have been reported from Aslamabad, Bhim Nagar, Bhawani Nagar, Purhiran and Hariana Road, teams were sent to fumigate these areas and to sensitise people about the spread of virus", he claimed. 

"We are distributing pamphlets and have pasted posters at different places to create awareness among the people. They are being asked to keep their environment clean and not to allow water to stagnate in utensils, tyres and other articles", said Dr Sailesh, claiming that a visit to the affected houses had revealed that people were consuming uncovered stored water.

Senior medical officer Dr Anil Mahindra said that a special team, headed by Dr Neelam, had been constituted to monitor dengue cases and a separate ward created in the emergency wing to attend to such patients.

comment Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of www.hindustantimes.com
blog comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement
more from Jalandhar

In spite of Rs 10 crore grant,canal rehabilitation hangs fire

 Work on the rehabilitation project of 800-km Bist-Doab canal continues to hang fire nearly a year after its scheduled start date of October 1, 2013, even after the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (Nabard) sanctioned Rs10 crore for the project in March this year.

Advertisement

 
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved