The sale of unhygienic food in the open goes unchecked in the city but no worry is eating the health department.
The uncovered eatables are likely to expose people to infections such as typhoid, hepatitis, and diarrhea; even then the department doesn't seem to care. Apart from Shaheed-E-Aazam Sardar Bhagat Singh Interstate Bus Stand, the violation is on at the railway station and almost every other place in the city.
Flouting the Food Safety Act openly, the vendors continue to sell dirty junk food such as samosas, pakodas, burgers, noodles, and kulcha at these stalls.
The health department has failed to collect food samples from the streets, even as they have raided big hotels, bakeries and branded food chains several times. Another major complaint of the passengers at the bus terminus and the railway stations is the vendors' overcharging for this exposed food.
The sale of uncovered eatables is rampant, which might give people typhoid, cholera and gastroenteritis. At the bus stand, railway station, and markets, these eateries are have flourished and attracted buyers. The health department has the duty to take action against these vendors for their violating the guidelines.
Satinder Kaur, data operator
Exposed eatables may be poisonous, too, as these are displayed right in the line of vehicle emissions, in the thick of traffic. The items also have flies and dirt settled on. The unsanitary conditions at the stalls and the practice with shopkeeper to not wear gloves while preparing the eatables compound the problem.
Puneet Arora, clerk
The health department used to hold regular awareness camps for vendors to educate them about the harmful side of selling unhygienic and exposed food. It also gathered them at a workshop this year and will hold similar programmes even in the coming days to teach them to comply with the Food Safety Act.
Dr Rattan Lal Bassan, civil surgeon