Advertisement

HindustanTimes Thu,21 Aug 2014

Former health minister condemns youth’s torture in police custody

HT Correspondent , Hindustan Times  Jalandhar, May 05, 2014
First Published: 13:24 IST(5/5/2014) | Last Updated: 13:28 IST(5/5/2014)

BJP national vicepresident and former minister Laxmi Kanta Chawla on Sunday condemned the commisisonerate police for the alleged torture of a boy at the Surya Enclave police post and cautioned against cruelty on minors.

Advertisement

Chawla said the boy had suffered injuries on various parts of his body due to torture in police custody which was really appalling and shocking.

Chawla, who visited the civil hospital and met the boy, said even after seeing the media reports on the incident no political party took notice of this.

The former minister further said no civil society group came to support the “minor” and his family. Chawla said she had written to chief minister Parkash Singh Badal and director general of police Suresh Arora to take suitable action against the officials of the commissionerate police responsible for their highhandedness.

“I have talked to police commissioner Ishwar Singh about this and he has already suspended some police officers who committed the blunder,” she said.

The former health minister also talked to the doctors treating the boy and asked them to give him the best treatment without any fear or pressure.

On Saturday, a panel of doctors at the Jalandhar civil hospital claimed that there were injuries on the different body parts of the youth whose family had earlier alleged that he was given third-degree torture in police custody on Monday after he was arrested in a snatching case.

comment Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of www.hindustantimes.com
blog comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement
more from Jalandhar

In spite of Rs 10 crore grant,canal rehabilitation hangs fire

 Work on the rehabilitation project of 800-km Bist-Doab canal continues to hang fire nearly a year after its scheduled start date of October 1, 2013, even after the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (Nabard) sanctioned Rs10 crore for the project in March this year.

Advertisement

 
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved