Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sat,23 Aug 2014

Futile bid to loot another ATM of PNB at Miani

HT Correspondent , Hindustan Times  Hoshiarpur, January 02, 2014
First Published: 23:23 IST(2/1/2014) | Last Updated: 23:24 IST(2/1/2014)

An attempt was made to loot another ATM of Punjab National Bank (PNB) in the district on the intervening night of Wednesday and Thursday.

Advertisement

Last month, Rs. 23 lakh were looted by miscreants by breaking two ATMs of the bank. The offenders in the tow cases are still at large.

A gas cutter was used to cut open the machine at PNB's Miani branch but somehow the operation failed. The incident came to light in the morning when some passersby noticed the broken machine and informed the police.

Bank branch manager Ramesh Kumar said cash worth Rs. 7.89 lakh was lying in the cash box.    

The bank authorities too seem to have learnt no lesson from the earlier two incidents as all of the bank's ATMs remain unguarded.

There was neither any security guard nor a night watchman on duty, said Tanda station house officer Satinder Chadha.

Enquiries revealed that the CCTV camera at the bank has been out of operation since July last and the authorities did not bother to get it fixed.   

Senior superintendent of police (SSP) Narinder Bhargav said that after the previous robberies, he had asked the bank officials to take certain measures to minimise such threats but they did nothing.

"I had suggested them to install alarm systems and hire night watchmen if, for the time being, they cannot employ security guards but they have so far not moved in this direction", the SSP said.

"We, on our part, have intensified night patrolling and hope to nab the offenders soon," he added.

comment Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of www.hindustantimes.com
blog comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement
more from Jalandhar

Provide free admission to SC/BC students, college principals told

The department of welfare for Scheduled Castes and Backward Classes on Friday directed the principals of private and aided colleges to provide free admission to SC/ BC students before August 31, failing which action will be initiated against them.
Advertisement

 
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved